Monday, June 28, 2010

Viejas at clinic in Pijal

We saw many Quichawa and local people in clinic here today. Several old women came and not only told of their medical problems (usually pain) but also told me that the government should do more about their health and their land and offer more support. Some told me how their kids were already fighting over the inheritance even before she had died. My interpretors today told me just to start examining them because they would find more to talk about.

It was interesting to here the story of their land from their standpoint. We saw older people in this community that any other community I have seen in Ecuador in years past. Several were 70s-80s. They all are doing relatively well except vision and arthritis. Overall it was a great internal medicine day for me. One woman that broke her hip 11 years ago never had surgery but was frustrated because all the doctors did for her was give her pain medicine but did not offer anything else. She walked with a limp since her broken leg was shorter than the other. I discussed that even an operation now would probably not offer her much benefit for the risk of surgery and the pain/rehab. Several other similar stories came up today when surgery was recommended prior but not done and they wanted other options now. (Eye surgery needed for congenital eye muscle problem, gallbladder surgery recommended for abd pain, prostate surgery recommended for enlarged prostate due to difficulty voiding.)

I tried to encourage when I could but did not offer much in the way of new solutions. It gave me a new perspective on "missed oportunities." How often does God open doors or present situations for us to be part of His work? There have been many times immediately after it happens that I thought, there was another chance for me to join God in what He is doing. Ask (and follow) for God sized tasks and opportunities.

No comments: