Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mission to Ecuador, 2008: A Post-Script

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

I now sit in the comfort of my home here in Lexington. I wanted to share some final thoughts from this year's work in Ecuador. The team held its final devotional last night at Casa Sol in Quito. Following the reading of scripture, some music, and some teaching, team members shared their thoughts. We were joined last night by Phillip Duncan. Phillip and his wife Shelia are former missionaries to Ecuador. They now live in Catlettsburg, where Phillip works as a hospital chaplain as well as a minister at Lifesong Church in Ashland.

One of our new team members this year is Aaron Thompson. Aaron is a student in the physical therapy program at UK. He confessed last night that over the past week he had worked harder than he had ever done in his life. He said he was tired, but that it was a good tired. He felt full of God's purpose. I then related a story from Africa. The missionary there (Clay Coursey) had told me twenty years ago that children in Africa were raised to live in reality, whereas most children in the US were raised to live in a fantasy. I then surmised that God's purpose for our lives certainly consists of living in reality as we walk and live in Christ.

Phillip then related how, two years ago, he was standing outside our clinic for the Awa at Rio Verde. It was a very busy day, and there were literally hundreds of people waiting to be seen. Observing their poverty and disease, Phil confessed the anger he felt towards God in allowing such circumstances to exist. He asked God why this should be. He then told us that it was as if he was struck by lightning. He heard God say to him, "It is because this is why you are here. These people are for you, and you are for them. Live in Me, and love them." Phillip went on to observe that more than ever before in the history of the church, Christian people are going and doing, serving people like these. "God is moving" amongst His people, and the opportunity to join in that activity is before us.



Before flying back today, I donated the last of my money (about $15) for Ana's surgery (see the mission entry from yesterday). I did, however, save back one Sacageawa dollar coin. (This is a US dollar coin with an Indian woman and her baby on her back. They are used in Ecuador as well.) As I looked at that coin -- flying along above the wonderland of white clouds -- I observed how much the woman and child on that coin looked like the women and children I had been seeing over the past ten days. At the top of the coin on the front side is the word "Liberty", and to the side of the coin are the words "In God We Trust". Really, for me, that coin pretty much sums up this year's medical mission to the Quechua and Awa people of Ecuador. Just like us, they are searching for liberty -- freedom from political oppression, freedom from disease and poverty, freedom from addiction, freedom from sin, freedom from the law and the world and the Enemy. And we need not fly half-way around the world to find adults and children in need of the freedom that God offers through His Son Jesus. They live not far from us, right now.

As I was coming down the escalator to the baggage claim area, I saw my dear wife standing there. Just before she met me, a man holding a white sign spoke to her. The sign said "Liberty Mutual". God's humor and reminder was not lost on me this time.

Overwhelmed by the awesome love and grace of Dad,
Dr. Tim

No comments: